(843) 225-9985 officesc@ashbusters.net

Your home heating system could be killing you without you even realizing it. While this sounds very frightening, unfortunately, it could be true. Also known as the silent killer because this toxic gas is odorless and tasteless, carbon monoxide can leak into your home from your fireplace, furnace, or other heating system, and your chimney plays a big role in this dangerous situation. Every year, at least 200 people die and 10,000 people suffer injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning in the USA. Thankfully, the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) has found that regular chimney maintenance can prevent carbon monoxide from leaking into your house. Ashbusters is proud to offer chimney sweeping and inspection services that can save you and your family from becoming another statistic of carbon monoxide poisoning. We would like to tell you more about how your chimney can contribute to this toxic gas invading your living space.

How Your Chimney Can Contribute to Carbon Monoxide Poisioning - Charleston SC - Ashbusters Chimney Service

How does my chimney contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning?

One of the major problems that can lead to the overproduction of carbon monoxide is when your chimney flue is too large for the heating appliance. The majority of fireplace inserts are much smaller than the chimney for the fireplace that is being converted. Even though these new inserts are made to be more energy efficient and create less pollution, these inserts will not function at the optimum level when installed into a chimney that is too large for the appliance. These performance and size differences create conditions where carbon monoxide can enter your home more easily. Other chimney issues that lead to this toxic gas leaking into your home include damaged liners and flue blockages from soot, nesting materials left behind by birds and other wild animals, and other debris.

How can Ashbusters help prevent carbon monoxide leaks into my home?

Our chimney maintenance services go a long way in keeping carbon monoxide and other toxic gases out of your living spaces. When our CSIA-certified chimney sweeps clean your chimney, we get rid of all of the creosote and soot deposits that could be blocking your flue, and when we inspect your chimney, we closely examine the state of your chimney liner to be sure it is not damaged. If we find a flue blockage, we will remove it to reduce your risks of a chimney fire and a carbon monoxide leak. We also offer our professional installation services when you buy a new fireplace insert. Our experienced chimney technicians can install a durable stainless steel liner to provide a correctly sized flue for your new heating appliance, so you can enjoy your new insert without worrying about carbon monoxide leaking into your home.

How else can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in my home?

Ashbusters strongly recommends that you install carbon monoxide alarm detectors throughout your home, along with your smoke alarms. Because this toxic gas is invisible, odorless, and tasteless, you need a detector alarm to alert you if it has leaked into your home.

Keep your family safe from carbon monoxide. Contact us at Ashbusters to schedule an appointment for a chimney sweeping and inspection today.